Wednesday 10 May 2017

Meet our students - Introducing Rebecca!

Hi everyone! My name is Rebecca and this is my first summer working at the Beaverlodge Research Farm in the Integrated Pest Management Lab. 

I just finished my 4th year at the University of Alberta where I am pursuing a Bachelors of Science degree with a major in Biological Science and a minor in Earth and Atmospheric Science. Growing up in a small farming town nearby called, I have found an interest in agriculture, animals and working outdoors. Having worked with an applied research association before, I enjoy field work very much and am familiar with some of the work we do at the Farm. 

In the first week, we assembled and deployed traps for diamond black moths and flea beetles. The diamond black moth traps consist of a card covered in a sticky substance called tanglefoot and a lure that contains a pheromone designed to attract male moths. Flea beetle traps consist of a yellow sticky card that is set just about the ground level. Within the next few weeks, we will be deploying more traps for a variety of field crop insects.

I look forward to gaining more experience and learning a lot of new things this summer. I am very excited to be working on the Farm and am ready for a busy summer ahead!


Figure 1. Rebecca hunting for overwintered insects near Falher AB in May 2017.